Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Feed the birds with the squirrel-n-ator!

Yes that is right, you saw it here first, The Squirrel-n-ator!

The story goes that  I got so tired of those fence rats (Grey Squirrels) chewing up my bird feeders just to get at the seed I was literately at my wits end. My wife in all her wisdom went on line and purchased me the toughest bird feeder she could find "The Squirrel-n-ator". OK, it is really not called that. I just made it up. But the first time I saw those little thief's coming around with thoughts of chewing out the seed pecking holes, watching all the seed hit the ground, and feasting I thought.....Hah...take that you little grey devils! The Squirrel-n-ator was born!

It has a steel cap and feed holes that are painted with a very slippery paint. It is almost impossible to scrape away. I tried a small spot simulating a squirrels sharp teeth with a knife and not a mark I could make. You can't imagine the joy found sitting in the window watching their feeble attempts to get at the seed. I could almost see the pain in their eyes as time after time they tried to chew it and failed to get the seed. So what did they do, they went over to the suet bar holder and ripped it apart and ate it all! However, that is another story for another day as it involves me, a BB gun pistol, a broken broom and a lot of shouting.

All cleaned and loaded for the little birds in the yard.

Another view....

The suet cage. Note I stuffed it with bread and a dinner roll. This thing locks shut, how the heck do the squirrels open it?

No comments:

Post a Comment